Potpourri

Back in the day
I never knew what potpourri was
Then in my fourth standard book of GK
I found out

All my life, I have wondered
How underrated smells are
Olfactory is a powerful sense
But we let it wither so easily

So now
At the age of whatever I am
I am making potpourri
Unless I think otherwise tomorrow

In a glass bottle
That came with the dessert we ordered
On an evening long ago
Mango mousse, or something

Am gonna put orange peels
As many as I can
And sprinkle it with dried bougainvillea
Pink & white & orange

Then am gonna add beads
From a bracelet I got made
Long ago in a fete I wandered into alone
With letters of my name

Am gonna also put
Old earrings with their tarnished stones
And some more dried petals of rose
Sprayed with my expired perfumes 

Am gonna tear up old Polaroids & put them in
Just to add to the nostalgia
And a bit of the umbilical cord 
Sprouting from my newborn's navel

Also add drops of my mother's shampoo
So that it smells like her too
And scrunched old love letters as well
Because old lovers deserve some caging too






No comments: