Fling

I cannot remember your face, tonite
Wide awake as my mind floats back in time
We were acquaintances, merely
You were after my good friend
And thought, I'd fix you up with her
How naive, mister
And hence you befriended me
But slowly you gave up on my friend
Because that was not to be
And that was that

Years later I visited your city 
Wild, by the sea
And you felt obligated to show me around
Or you wanted to, really
I didn't bother to know
I was elated, you showed up
Mostly, just showing up matters

You took me out for pizza
And to the movies 
To stake dinners with candles
It felt funny because I really dressed up
Skirts and heels, so not me 
You teased me and stepped back
We had been careful about crossing lines 

I treated you to a sub, 
In a sunny looking subway on a Saturday 
Remember?
And spilled coke all over your shirt
My face was flushed pink 
And you seemed totally okay
Somewhere there we crossed those lines

You made me garlic bread 
In the middle of the night
We ate bars of chocolate 
And kissed in the dark
I wasn't the pretty one
Definitely not your type
You were far from my type too
We both knew and it didn't matter

Such was that fling
Short-lived and too casual for memory
Yet, I remember 
Everything but your face
Later, when you coyly asked me permission 
To kiss me again
I sobered up and said that's not a great idea
How you must've shrunk
I cringe to think of, now

2 comments:

the weight of a letter said...

Another remarkable piece.

"I was elated, you showed up
Mostly, just showing up matters"

This part stands out to me the most. I often wish we didn't need to be going somewhere or doing something when meeting, just showing up, being there, feeling seen and understood, means so much. That is why sometimes locking eyes with a stranger on a train can feel like an instant connection.

Bone said...

Ah, those "This is a bad idea" moments when we stepped back always end up haunting us.