Winter

When in sixth grade
In the middle of a school fete
On a crisp December morning
I told my plump teacher of Math
That I would miss class for a week or more
Flowers in her hair, and brows squeezed 
She asked what was I upto
We were going up to the Himalayas 
Yes, in winter
Brows immediately apart
She asked me to have some fun, please

For hundreds of miles
In a bus with nausea as a co-passenger
Families with kids, old folks 
The single and unattached
And people of all other kinds
Packed with our bags and suitcases 
Embarked on a journey north ward 

Sometime around Christmas
When the twelve year old me
Woke up in the morning 
I saw snow capped mountains 
I, literally I had never seen snow
Several mountain ranges away
But snow, nevertheless 

My eyes were awed
And I felt completely woke
I rolled down the window
A chill caught my cheek
And I felt my mellow unviolated skin
Crack in the cold
That honey, was the first feel of winter

No comments: